MCN Blogs
David Poland

By David Poland poland@moviecitynews.com

DP/30 – What’s Wrong With Virginia, actress Jennifer Connelly

Be Sociable, Share!

11 Responses to “DP/30 – What’s Wrong With Virginia, actress Jennifer Connelly”

1. Tom says:

Jennifer Connelly is so bright and stunningly beautiful that I admire her more and more for not selling out to blockbuster mainstream films.

2. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

She wasn’t in The Day the Earth Stood Still two years ago? Or He’s Just Not That Into You last year? Or Hulk? Must have been a different Jennifer Connelly in those.

3. ThriceDamned says:

So unbelievably, ridiculously beautiful that it’s not even funny. Jesus Christ…I can’t even focus on what she’s saying, I just get lost looking at her.

4. Hopscotch says:

I’ll try to keep this clean. I saw Jennifer do a Q&A after a screening of House of Sand and Fog in late 2003. She was wearing a loose-fitting sweater and jeans.

She was literally the most stunning woman I’ve ever seen. I was practically drooling. Afterward, I ran to my car, raced home and took a two hour hot shower.

5. storymark says:

BOW!

6. the great thing about jennifier connelly is that she still looks hot eventhough she is already a bit old these days _

7. Jen connelly is the actress that i have a huge crush. here eyes are really very pretty “..

8. John Daly says:

Absolutely, Jennifer Connelly is undoubtedly the most beautiful woman on the planet. But, Paul MD (Stella’s Boy), you are incorrect. She was definitely in “The Day the Earth Stood Still”, “He’s Just Not Into You” and “Hulk.” I’ve seen them all and she was in them! There is no substitute for the real Jennifer Connelly.

9. Josephina says:

John Daly is correct!

10. yancyskancy says:

Reading comprehension is fun!

11. Alfred says:

I would like to appreciate the work you have made in writing this write-up. It has been an encouragement for me. I have transferred this on to a friend. thankyou

The Hot Blog

Quote Unquotesee all »

It shows how out of it I was in trying to be in it, acknowledging that I was out of it to myself, and then thinking, “Okay, how do I stop being out of it? Well, I get some legitimate illogical narrative ideas” — some novel, you know?

So I decided on three writers that I might be able to option their material and get some producer, or myself as producer, and then get some writer to do a screenplay on it, and maybe make a movie.

And so the three projects were “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep,” “Naked Lunch” and a collection of Bukowski. Which, in 1975, forget it — I mean, that was nuts. Hollywood would not touch any of that, but I was looking for something commercial, and I thought that all of these things were coming.

There would be no Blade Runner if there was no Ray Bradbury. I couldn’t find Philip K. Dick. His agent didn’t even know where he was. And so I gave up.

I was walking down the street and I ran into Bradbury — he directed a play that I was going to do as an actor, so we know each other, but he yelled “hi” — and I’d forgot who he was.

So at my girlfriend Barbara Hershey’s urging — I was with her at that moment — she said, “Talk to him! That guy really wants to talk to you,” and I said “No, fuck him,” and keep walking.

But then I did, and then I realized who it was, and I thought, “Wait, he’s in that realm, maybe he knows Philip K. Dick.” I said, “You know a guy named—” “Yeah, sure — you want his phone number?”

My friend paid my rent for a year while I wrote, because it turned out we couldn’t get a writer. My friends kept on me about, well, if you can’t get a writer, then you write.”
~ Hampton Fancher

“That was the most disappointing thing to me in how this thing was played. Is that I’m on the phone with you now, after all that’s been said, and the fundamental distinction between what James is dealing with in these other cases is not actually brought to the fore. The fundamental difference is that James Franco didn’t seek to use his position to have sex with anyone. There’s not a case of that. He wasn’t using his position or status to try to solicit a sexual favor from anyone. If he had — if that were what the accusation involved — the show would not have gone on. We would have folded up shop and we would have not completed the show. Because then it would have been the same as Harvey Weinstein, or Les Moonves, or any of these cases that are fundamental to this new paradigm. Did you not notice that? Why did you not notice that? Is that not something notable to say, journalistically? Because nobody could find the voice to say it. I’m not just being rhetorical. Why is it that you and the other critics, none of you could find the voice to say, “You know, it’s not this, it’s that”? Because — let me go on and speak further to this. If you go back to the L.A. Times piece, that’s what it lacked. That’s what they were not able to deliver. The one example in the five that involved an issue of a sexual act was between James and a woman he was dating, who he was not working with. There was no professional dynamic in any capacity.

~ David Simon