From: REDACTED
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 3:03 PM
To: REDACTED; #TWC All
Cc: REDACTED
Subject: RE: Think Outside the Box Employee Incentive Program
i hope i’m the first one in with this suggestion (drum roll, please):
install a phone system that works!!!! by doing this, i feel confident that we would (a) increase the likelihood that potential sellers and business partners will take us seriously as a company, (b) increase our ability to actually close deals for the company, as phone communication has, in the past several decades, become a near-essential part of doing business and (c) decrease (or eliminate) the equipment replacement costs that we incur every time REDACTED throws his phone out the window, (d) decrease the medical bills that employees in the l.a. office have been running up due to treatment for banging our heads against the wall every time our calls get cut off or we get emails telling us that our phones don’t work (and for poor REDACTED, who has now become so morbid about the phone problems that she’s become a cutter) and, most importantly, (e) decrease the amount of time that REDACTED has to spend listening to me, REDACTED, REDACTED, REDACTED and dassorted [sic] other bitter l.a. employees bitch and moan about the problem (and how can you really place a price on that???).
if you have any questions, please call me through my office….five or six times…..

I have said it before, and it bears repeating: If only Harvey would go back to shouting the color out of his employees’ hair, these poor bastards would not even need phones.
Read the full memo in all its impudent glory after the jump (via eugonline)

From: REDACTED
Re: Think Outside the Box Employee Incentive Program
To: REDACTRED; <> #TWC LA; <> #TWC NY; <> #TWC UK
Can we get a picture of the “employee of the month” in the entryway?
That would really be fantastic for everybody to be motivated. What do you think? (of course whoever get the picture will have to pay it out of its “modest bonus

Be Sociable, Share!

One Response to “The Weinstein Company: Penny Wise, Phone Foolish”

  1. Jordan Rhodes says:

    I’d like to send a play to either Bob or Harvey, one of them actually likes the theatre, but I can’t find a recent address. This play has been sold out on the road for over two years. Has been invited to Broadway for over a year. It is a NEW AMERICAN PLAY, (I know, I know, unheard of in this day and age) about an American Icon, one of the greatest writers of the 20th Century. It would transfer effortlessly to the screen. How can I get the address of The Weinstein company????

Quote Unquotesee all »

It shows how out of it I was in trying to be in it, acknowledging that I was out of it to myself, and then thinking, “Okay, how do I stop being out of it? Well, I get some legitimate illogical narrative ideas” — some novel, you know?

So I decided on three writers that I might be able to option their material and get some producer, or myself as producer, and then get some writer to do a screenplay on it, and maybe make a movie.

And so the three projects were “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep,” “Naked Lunch” and a collection of Bukowski. Which, in 1975, forget it — I mean, that was nuts. Hollywood would not touch any of that, but I was looking for something commercial, and I thought that all of these things were coming.

There would be no Blade Runner if there was no Ray Bradbury. I couldn’t find Philip K. Dick. His agent didn’t even know where he was. And so I gave up.

I was walking down the street and I ran into Bradbury — he directed a play that I was going to do as an actor, so we know each other, but he yelled “hi” — and I’d forgot who he was.

So at my girlfriend Barbara Hershey’s urging — I was with her at that moment — she said, “Talk to him! That guy really wants to talk to you,” and I said “No, fuck him,” and keep walking.

But then I did, and then I realized who it was, and I thought, “Wait, he’s in that realm, maybe he knows Philip K. Dick.” I said, “You know a guy named—” “Yeah, sure — you want his phone number?”

My friend paid my rent for a year while I wrote, because it turned out we couldn’t get a writer. My friends kept on me about, well, if you can’t get a writer, then you write.”
~ Hampton Fancher

“That was the most disappointing thing to me in how this thing was played. Is that I’m on the phone with you now, after all that’s been said, and the fundamental distinction between what James is dealing with in these other cases is not actually brought to the fore. The fundamental difference is that James Franco didn’t seek to use his position to have sex with anyone. There’s not a case of that. He wasn’t using his position or status to try to solicit a sexual favor from anyone. If he had — if that were what the accusation involved — the show would not have gone on. We would have folded up shop and we would have not completed the show. Because then it would have been the same as Harvey Weinstein, or Les Moonves, or any of these cases that are fundamental to this new paradigm. Did you not notice that? Why did you not notice that? Is that not something notable to say, journalistically? Because nobody could find the voice to say it. I’m not just being rhetorical. Why is it that you and the other critics, none of you could find the voice to say, “You know, it’s not this, it’s that”? Because — let me go on and speak further to this. If you go back to the L.A. Times piece, that’s what it lacked. That’s what they were not able to deliver. The one example in the five that involved an issue of a sexual act was between James and a woman he was dating, who he was not working with. There was no professional dynamic in any capacity.

~ David Simon